Thursday, February 21, 2008

Physical Education

One of my last jobs was a PE teacher for an elementary school.

I was not feeling up to it---but took the job anyway.

It was nice wearing sneakers and a sweatshirt to a teaching job for a change.

I taught 8 classes that day and taught all grades k-5. I have a new respect for PE teachers now. I realize that PE teachers really don't get to know there students as well as a grade teacher. I saw about 240 kids that day--and realize that if I had subbed another day I would have seen another 240.

My gym was also the cafeteria. So if I set up equipment, I had to take it down and put it back up for lunch. That also meant that after lunch I had a sticky floor. YUCK. I also had little (less than 5 minutes) or no time between classes. So one minute I was teaching kindergartners, the next minute fifth graders--and it is hard to do the same activities for both grades, meaning I needed different equipment. Yeah-- a lot more respect for PE teachers. The day went fine for the most part. When I finished early, I would have the kids sit on a line and we would play telephone. This OLD OLD game is amazing. It gets all the kids quiet and keeps their full attention.

I got a little attitude from some fifth graders---but that is expected--and I just made them sit out for a few minutes. Even as a PE teacher, I made 4 kids cry. It is amazing how sensitive they are--which is good! Children should be that innocent.

Just to clarify, the kids that cried were kids that were talking when I was trying to talk, so I them sit against the wall. I think it just shocked them and probably scared them. These kids probably didn't get in trouble very often.

Anyway--all in all a good day. Oh yeah--this school calls recess Peaceful Play. That was a new one. And for "Peaceful Play" the school provided the kids with sleds and shovels and snow brick makers. The kids had an awesome time sledding and making snow forts. It was neat to watch.

Well that is all for now.

Next post--the physics teacher.....

No comments: