Monday, March 26, 2007

Are SEA's needed for every subject?

So today I was an SEA (Special Education Assistant) once again for a middle school. However, this time I worked with fully functioning kids that should be included in the classroom. (See post below.)

Let me tell you about my day.

First hour, I with another SEA and the home Ec teacher worked solely with 7 fully functioning Special Ed kids to make breakfast burritos. (The rest of my classes were all regular ed classes.) Second hour, I worked with 5 special ed children in PE to shoot baskets. Third hour, I have no idea who the special ed kids were, but I was in art. Fourth hour, I was in music aiding one special ed kids. Fifth hour was lunch supervision. Sixth hour, I was back in PE with one special ed child. Seventh hour I was booted out of the computer class (the teacher said she didn't need me) so I went to see if I could aid another SEA in a SE math class--which I wasn't needed in either.

At the end of the day, I feel as though the district wasted some thirty thousand dollars a year on the position I subbed for. I felt the most useful during the lunchtime supervision.

I always though that SEA's sole job was to be present for the academic classes and the SE classes. Does an SEA really need to be present in a PE class if the students are able to function normally? Yes they were slower, but that is a part of their disability. I honestly thought that my day was a joke. I did not need to do lesson plans, nor did I really need to attend to these kids. Sure I gave them words of encouragement, but isn't that the job of the regular ed teacher?

No lesson planning or anything. PE and Music. Do they expect the SEA to have a special ability in helping these kids to sing or shoot a basket? What a joke!

Okay, so once again I was glad for the experience, but really some of the SE legislation in public schools has really gotten out of hand.

No comments: